Wildlife Rescue

Donate Now!

Orphaned Wildlife

Donate Now!

Injured Wildlife

Donate Now!


Wildlife Rescue Rules:

Rescue If:

  • The parent is known to be dead, and the baby is too young to be on its own
  • The animal is weak, thin, cold, or appears sick.
  • The animal is injured in any way; or there are flies, ants, or other insects on or around the animal.
  • The animal is in danger, including problems with other animals, people, or any life-threatening situation.

Additional information can be found under the Wildlife

Leave Alone If:

  • The parent is nearby. Parents rarely abandon healthy offspring. It is natural for some species, including rabbits and deer, to leave their young for a number of hours while foraging for food.
  • The animal is fat, bright-eyed, appears healthy, and isn’t in apparent danger. Parent animals have strong self-preservation instincts. Watch from a distant place. Keep children and animals away so the reunion can take place.

Intervene If:

  • A nest has been blown from a tree. Pick it up, place it in a berry basket, and tie the basket to a limb of the tree using heavy twine, or place in a crotch of a tree.
  • A baby has fallen from the nest. Pick up the baby and return it to the nest. Do not handle the baby a lot since their bones are fragile.
Always:  Use gloves and caution when handling wildlife. Wild animals normally don’t attack people, but when threatened they will defend themselves. Even small mammals can bite or scratch; birds can peck. Larger species are dangerous. Do not endanger yourself!
Never:  Never touch raccoons, skunks, bats, woodchucks, or foxes without using gloves. These species could be carriers of rabies. Contact a wildlife rehabber ASAP if you find any of these species in trouble.

After Rescue:

  • Place the animal in a secure box equipped with air holes and a lid. Use a box that is the right size – not too large or small. Provide a clean ravel-free cloth for the animal to grasp, and make certain there is nothing inside the box the animal can get caught in. The box should be placed in a warm, dark, and quiet area until transportation is arranged.
  • Do not feed or water the animal; good intentions can be fatal to wildlife.
  • NEVER house or transport a wild bird in a cage. The wire will damage their feathers.
From Wildlife Works Inc. (http://www.wildlifeworksinc.org/wildlife-rescue-rules )             


If you find an animal in distress click on the Animal Emergency above to help determine if the animal really needs human intervention. If you find an infant animal alone, it may not be abandoned – it is not unusual for parents to leave their young unattended for several hours. If in doubt, observe the baby from a distance. If a parent does not return in several hours or by dusk or if the animal is obviously injured, in distress, or struggling contact Colorado Parks & Wildlife (M-F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) at 719-227-5200, State Police after hours (M-F 5 p.m. to 8 a.m & weekends) at 719-544-2424, or Wild Forever Foundation for mule deer, white tail deer, or pronghorn antelope fawns at 719-475-WILD (9453).




The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region has graciously agreed to let WFF use their conference room to host their monthly General Meetings. The meetings are held on the second Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m.  

The  HSPPR address is 610 Abbott Lane, Colorado Springs, 80905. Please do not contact the HSPPR for information regarding the meeting but rather WFF at 719-475–WILD (9453) or by email at wildforeverppr@gmail.com                                  

A big Thank You to the Humane Society for opening their doors to us!


Domestic Animal Emergencies

The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region handles domestic animal emergencies involving dogs, cats and exotic pets: Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region 610 Abbott Lane Colorado Springs, CO 80905 Phone: (719) 473-1741 Fax: (719) 444-0179 E-mail:info@hsppr.org

Deceased Animals

If you find deceased wildlife in or beside the road call Colorado Springs City Streets Department at 719-385-5934, El Paso County Public Services at 719-520-6460, or State Police after hours (5:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. and weekends) at 719-544-2424 to request removal.

If deceased wildlife is on your property: put on gloves, double bag it, and throw it in your garbage can. Wash hands thoroughly afterward. If it is too large for your garbage can – take it to a forested or plains area away from paths and roads, drop it off and let nature recycle it.

If you think a deceased animal may be diseased (e.g., rabies, hanta virus, avian flu), please call the El Paso County Health Department at (719) 578-3199.